We had such great questions during the Q&A segment of yesterday’s webcast, “Selling Medicare Supplements in Connecticut: Strategies for Success,” we wanted to share them with our agents for future reference.
Highlights from today’s webcast Q&A:
- Can you submit online enrollments for Medicare Supplements?
Answer: Yes! Online enrollments are available for UHC, Anthem, Cigna, Combined and Mutual of Omaha (Omaha Insurance Company) and United American (UA’s E-app requires training to be completed before an agent can use it)
- If a beneficiary moves to another state, can they keep the CT plan?
Answers: They can keep their plan, as long as it is offered in the new state of residence. The beneficiary should contact the carrier to inform them of the new address and the premium will be adjusted to the rates in effect for that plan in the new state.
- Foreign Travel which Medicare Supplement plans cover it? Source: Medicare & You 2019
Answer: Basic Medicare: Foreign Travel is generally not covered by Medicare. There are a few exceptions, please refer to Page 48 of Medicare & You.
- Medicare is a US Health Plan that does not provide coverage outside of the US.
- Plans C, D, F, G, N & M cover 80% of Medically necessary emergency care services after a $250 deductible up to a lifetime max of $50,000.
- Please note that this is reimbursement coverage only, so the member must pay the charges from the foreign hospital, then submit a claim for reimbursement to the carrier.
- Our Slide showing plans F, G & N incorrectly stated that the Cost of Foreign Travel Emergency is covered at 100% up to plan limits. The correct percentage of coverage is 80%. A corrected grid can be downloaded here. Foreign Travel Health Insurance can be purchased through IMG – click here to access plan info and contracting.
- What about covering for dialysis, does the supplement have more coverage than the advantage?
Answer: Basic medicare covers 3 dialysis treatments per week if the member has ESRD. Dialysis is covered under basic Medicare so a Med Supp wouldn’t offer any additional benefits.
- What is the High F Commission for United American?
Answer: Commission is 16% of first year premium, which is $50/month.
- How many carriers have a 5 * PDP and who are they?
Answer: Blue Cross and Blue Shield has 5 Star PDP’s in CT, IA, MA, MN, MT, NE, ND, RI, SD, VT, WI, WY.
- Is that Star rating state-specific or national?
Answer: Star ratings encompass the service area of the plan.
Do you have a question that was not answered above? Reach out to either Jane Feit, Jeanette Natale or anyone on the Broker Support Team – 800-234-9488
Ready to get started? Request a contract – 4 great carriers to choose from in CT!